Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Answer to my last post -- Maybe?

In my last post, I was curious why I couldn't shake the mountains out of my system although I've been back from my trip for a couple of weeks now. While I'm happy that those wonderful memories are forever planted in my memory back, I could feel an internal issue with the way I was still longing and longing to be back in the Appalachian Mountains. I was clinging to that moment, but as you know....when we cling to a moment that's gone, we are failing to be in the moment...and the present moment is the only moment we have (the past is gone, future moments haven't come), so why not embrace every fiber of the live moment? Why not let memories be memories and the present be the present?

Fortunately, over the past few days I've felt myself more so connecting with the present moment and have noticed a shift (for the better) in the way I've felt.

Then, tonight I sampled a wonderful introductory meditation class where the importance of filing/storing previous experiences "just happened" to be mentioned. The fact that this point came up in tonight's class was perhaps a sign to remind me to, yes, enjoy my mountain memories but realize that they are just that -- memories! Lovingly file them away....remember them....but be in this moment!!!

Tonight's class was so awesome! It's a class that uses a 5-sense approach (yes, all 5 senses) to meditating. Interesting! This was the first time I had gone to such a class although I do get a taste of meditation during the Yoga classes I take. Although tonight's journey was an hour long, we did not just quietly sit for that full hour -- as many suspect meditation to only be. Initially, I thought it might have been like that, too. However, in class, I got a brief overview about the different approaches to meditation. I think the 5-senses approach met me at the place I'm at on my journey right now. One day I'll be able to sit silently for a long, long period of time, but just not right now. In the meantime, I welcome the meditation through movement approach. I completely loved it and felt each part of my body becoming more relaxed as we worked our way down from head to toe! There was a movement of the middle body, however, that felt a bit awkward to me (I think I was tensing up a bit), but it's all a journey, right?

The class began with some lecture time in a light-hearted way. The seven or eight of us there then stood and were guided through some gentle stretches and massages that gave attention to our bodies, like I said, from head to toe. It was like an anatomy class through movement. Very cool! Eventually, we worked our way down to a squat and then to a seated position where we were guided into a quiet seated mediation position for a few minutes. We then broke that silence and stillness of our bodies by placing the palms of our hands over our eyes and then slightly putting a space between the palms to allow a crack of light to shine in. Eventually, we opened up to full light.

On that note......

Love & Light,

Penny

P.S. I feel so happy today. My son and I had a wonderful outing at The Present Moment Cafe in St. Augustine. I always get a lift when there! I love that place. Warm energy and great raw-vegan food! And, my son thoroughly enjoyed his meal, too....a Sunlight Burger. Then, off to the Meditation Class for me this evening! Fabulous Day! Thank you, God, for the wonderful people I met today! Thank you! Thank you!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home