Tuesday, July 31, 2007

What is it about backbends?

I have this thing about backbends. Always have and probably always will! I recall feeling so exhilarated in a Yoga class one evening that I told the instructor I just felt so alive and wanted to do a backbend right then and there. She reminded me it was my practice and told me to go for it. I did. In fact, I did a backbend...kick-over! After class, another class participant came over to me and said: "Nice backbend and kick-over." Turns out, she was a Yoga instructor who also taught gymnastics to children.

On another occasion, after attending a Kate Potter workshop (Kate Potter from Namaste Yoga on Fit TV), a few of us took pictures with Kate. When trying to decide what pose we should do for our picture moment, I suggested a backbend. Kate realized I was quite serious with my request....so a backbend we did! There's Kate in the yellow shirt; I'm in the green pants.

I tell you, there is just something quite special in my mind about a backbend. Here I was not long ago even attempting a backbend on a boulder during our mountain trip.

From time to time, I have often wondered why the backbend passion is still just as strong within me as when I was a child.

Last night, I came upon this related blog entry by Nationally Certified Fitness Instructor, Lisa Long, who teaches Anusara Yoga and Pilates. I think Lisa has helped me put this whole backbend passion of mine into perspective. Check out her post that begins:
"What is it about backbends? Most adults cringe at the thought. We even exclaim to loved ones at times of deep exasperation, 'I bent over backwards for you!' We equate it with difficult work!....."
Click here to read more!

Thanks, Lisa! The backbend doesn't seem to be anything I'm outgrowing; I don't want to anyway...and now I understand why! :-) As you explained in your blog:
"Yes, you do have the physical support of your back muscles behind you. Even better, you have your network of family, friends, and faith as your source of strength. They’ve literally, 'got your back.' Lean into this idea. Make it your 'back rest.'"
Now it's quite clear just whom I've been leaning on when holding a backbend position! Lisa, making my way to a class with you in Jacksonville to check the alignment of my backbend has now been added to my list of things to do! :-)

Until then....

Namaste,

Penny

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home