Friday, August 18, 2006

New Job and Friday Spotlight

I started my new part-time job in the field of health food education on Wednesday. I'm being trained by Ginny Nehring, author of this Gluten-free cookbook -- Brad's Basics.

What a blessing to have such a meaningful job with hours based around my son's school schedule! And, after only working for two days, I already have a day off since Friday is not on my work schedule. At times, the job description combined with the lovely flexible schedule just seem too good to be true. Obviously, God's hands are in this! Thank you God for touching my heart -- always!

On the job, I've begun learning so much about the Gluten-free diet -- the lifestyle diet that people who are diagnosed with Celiac Disease need to live by. On my first day working with Ginny, she did a mock walk-through with me so that I could get a feel for the no-gluten-added products in the store and what a customer typically experiences during such a walk-through. The tour was extremely helpful and fun -- yet somewhat overwhelming since there is a great deal of information to absorb. But, I have time to process it. Eventually, I'll have much of it down to a science. I particularly enjoyed learning from the questions asked by some of Ginny's already-established customers whom we encountered as we traveled throughout the store.

When telling my son's teacher about my overwhelming feeling that first day, she put it into perspective for me. She said that is probably how customers feel during their initial walk-through, therefore, I had the opportunity to walk in their shoes on some level. She's right! On that note, I also want to sample more of the gluten-free items customers can include in their new diet so that I can give them an "I've tried that" opinion of what tastes good and such. (Although I prefer to eat mostly raw foods, I'd certainly do this type of taste-testing for the customer.) There are lots and lots of healthy Gluten-free food choices in the store.

On the second day on the job, while I did experience some customer-contact work, I spent most of my time in the office learning more about what the Research and Education Department does before tagging a product -- No Gluten Added. There are strict procedures in place at Native Sun that provide assurance for the customer that this product is what it says it is. It's a Big Healthy Store with a Big Healthy Heart!

Talking about a Big heart, my son has one, too. Today, his teacher e-mailed this to me:
"You'll be wonderful at your new job. Isn't it neat how your past experiences and interests are coming together?.......Caleb brought your new job up as a prayer request yesterday, so I hope you're feeling the peace!"
(Yes, I am feeling the peace! Prayer works!!!) :-)

My son's thoughtfulness could have easily gotten him my Friday Spotlight pick for this week, but since Ginny was already on my heart this week for the spotlight, it is shining on her today!
Congratulations, Ginny! Keep up the great work! You're already such an inspiration to me!
Take a peak inside of Ginny's cookbook here.

In Health...In Life,

Penny

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Penny, I stopped by to see what's been up lately! I thought I commented to this post, but I guess I didn't. I wanted to say congratulations again on your accomplishment. You must be so proud. There's a Southest Herbal Conference for Women going on in September. It's a few towns away and I think I may go. The mountains are starting to make go back to the natural way of things and I am just thrilled about it.

Thursday, 31 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home