Sunday, September 10, 2006

My Juicing Fascination

The science behind juicing just fascinates me, so here goes another juice-related blog entry.

This morning, I was able to make a juice that tasted identical to The Unbeetable juice I love from Native Sun. If you already read this entry, you'll recall me wondering why my homemade beet/apple juice turns out a different color from the one I get at Native Sun. (I'll get to that answer in just a bit.)

In the meantime......

"Why does the color matter?" my husband asked me yesterday, implying that the taste should be the priority. Perhaps, he's right! As long as I am juicing live foods, the color of the juice is probably insignificant, right? Maybe not! According to The Juiceman's Power of Juicing by Jay Kordich, "Old-time raw foodists and herbalists have long known that the color or shape of a fruit and vegetable often convey its healthful properties."

So, if you ever wondered why red beets are just so rich in color, here's why! Kordich explains:
"Beets contain iron, calcium, sulfur, potassium and chlorine. They also are a source of beta carotene and vitamin C. Their rich mineral makeup contributes directly to the well-being of the liver and gall bladder while building up blood corpuscles and cells and stimulating the activity of the lymph glands. Beets emulsify bile and flush the kidneys and bladder. Beet greens are rich in carotenoids which help prevent certain types of cancer. They also contain manganese, which combines with iron to feed the liver and red corpuscles. This vital mineral contributes to normal brains functions, reproductive functions, bone structure and normal glucose metabolism."

"Beet juice is potent stuff. Never drink it solo," Kordich advises. That's the reason for diluting beet juice with milder ones such as apple. "The juice of half a small beet is all that should be mixed with the juice of four apples," says Kordich.

Back to the preparation of my "Unbeetable" juice at home this morning. I was tickled pink about being able to make a juice that was different in color from any I've ever made. Plus, a bright pinkish/reddish colored juice is plain ole' pretty! So, you should have seen my bounce of excitement when:
(1) I ended up with a such a lovely color in my juice glass this morning.
(2) I took my first sip and the taste was familiar to that of the "The Unbeetable" at Native Sun.

What did I do differently this time? Added half of a lemon. That seems to have made the difference with both the color and taste. I didn't have a yellow beet to add, but the lemon seems to have worked just fine for altering the color. (I had previously been omitting the lemon.) I guess it's the red plus white equals pink concept! The recipe: half of a small beet, about four apples, a tad of ginger and half of a lemon. (I think I may have sliced even less than a half of the beet and still managed to secure that "perfect" taste and "perfect" color.)

Again, the study of juicing -- of live foods -- just fascinates me right down to my core!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peace Penny,
We juiced today as well and ended up with a lovely color pinkish red juice.
brocolli stems, celery, carrots, beet
Really really Good.

Monday, 11 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! How has the raw food fast been? Hope it's going well! That's so cool how you've been meeting so many like-minded people. Keep abreast of your progress. If only I was so disciplined!

Monday, 18 September, 2006  
Blogger Penny Powell said...

Hi The Raw Afrikan and Jennifer:

Thanks for your comments.

Have you been juicing lately, The Raw Afrikan?

Jennifer, sorry for the delayed reply. The 7-Day Raw Food Challenge went so well. I hope you'll check back often for updates as I'll now be sharing some of my progress entries here that I posted in the 7-Day Raw Challenge forum.

Here's to a healthy week!

Hugs,

Penny

Monday, 25 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home