Friday, September 08, 2006

The Spotlight is Shining on Quince

Unfortunately, I haven't kept my word about putting the spotlight on someone each Friday. I'll try to do better. I've had so much to juggle lately it seems; however, I do try to be a woman of my word and would like to get back to what I initially said I would do.

Today, the spotlight is shining on Quince, my teenage Godson. I've been spending more time with him lately now that he has graduated from high school in Bermuda and has come abroad for the next phase of his educational journey. He has impressed me with his desire and courage to embrace a field that I don't know to be typically explored by teenagers. From what I've observed or have been told or have experienced myself, many teenagers his age are simply trying to figure out exactly where they want to go in life, and that is fine. The timetable of life is not the same for everyone. We're unique. I respect that. Knowing "what we'll be when we grow up" doesn't always just click instantly for many of us. However, I can't help but be impressed that Quince appears to be totally clear that he wants to be an Underwater Mechanic. Yes, an Underwater Mechanic!

He's serious. He's focused. He's determined. He's calm and smiles a lot amidst such a rigorous school schedule to help him meet his career goals. I mean, what teenager is okay with getting up super early each day to participate in major physical training -- followed by a good dose of morning swimming -- prior to attending an 8:00 a.m., class followed by more classes until about 5:00 p.m.

A few nights ago, I got an e-mail from Quince at about 11:00 p.m., and wondered what on earth he was doing up that late knowing the type of schedule he now has. When I spoke to him on the phone and asked why he was up that late, he replied: "I was studying.....for my physics test." Physics is a subject Quince hasn't had a lot of experience with, so he figured that would be a tough test for him. But, he scored a 90 percent on it. Way to go, Future Underwater Mechanic!

Last weekend, when Quince spent the weekend with us, I noticed he brought his books along with him. When I asked if he had homework, his reply was, "No, I just want to go over some things I'm not sure about it." For the Physics test. Impressive! On Sunday morning, when I came out of my bedroom, I noticed Quince at the kitchen table reviewing his school material. This boy is serious, I thought. You know, I often visualize his mom (one of my dearest friends -- we go way back) saying to Quince while hugging him on the day we took him to his new school: "Do your best...okay, Quince!" From what I can tell, he has started out doing just that. His best.

Quince recently celebrated his birthday, so that's another reason why I want to shine the spotlight on him today. Happy Birthday, Quince! You have so much to be proud of. . You have so much future ahead of you. Your parents, your siblings....so many of us are rooting for you and finding great joy in cheering you on. Oh geez, I feel my eyes welling up, so I'll pause here and just let the spotlight shine on our future Underwater Mechanic......the amazing Quince!!!

Quince, keep up the fabulous work. Stay focused. Stay true to yourself. Stay true to God. Stay true to your lessons learned from your parents and other positive role models you have in your life. You are destined for some great experiences.......a road that many of us may never travel but will surely have the pleasure of "living" those adventurous experiences through you.

Hugs from Godma Penny! Love from all of those who love you so much!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Penny,

I would like to congratulate your godson and I wish him all the best. It is so nice to see young black males continuing with their education. I wish Quince much success.

Linda

Tuesday, 12 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penny,

OH MY GOSH!!! I know Quince is thrilled at the write-up/review on himself. I can just see the huge smile on his face. It warms me inside to know that he is focused and doing so well. Most of all he's loving it. I am so proud of him. Hat's off to you, his godmother, for all your encouragement and help.

Damita
(Quince's mom)

Wednesday, 13 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Q, I am so glad you have the 'focus' and I hope that it remains with you for the rest of your life in all that you do. I will send Gio the link, to let him know that you are going to be okay with this.

Wednesday, 13 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penny it's nice to see such positive comments for Quince. His Dad, myself, Jade & Jordan are very proud of him. We know that since he's so close to you, you'll encourage him all the more.

Denise & family

Wednesday, 13 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quince is a great young man! i'm glad to know he has such an enthusiastic person supporting him when he is away from home. We expect great things from him and he has never let me down yet!
karen wicks

Thursday, 14 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Fletcher said: From the time I met Quince when he joined MSA his smile radiated the room and I knew he would be a wonderful addition to our school. Wishing you all the very best.

Mrs. Fletcher

Thursday, 14 September, 2006  
Blogger Penny Powell said...

Hello to everyone who posted a note about or to Quince. Thank you! I know he'll be thrilled. What a nice way for him to connect with, be encouraged and feel love from folks at home!

Feel free to pop by "Quince's link" at any time to leave a message for him. I think it'll be fun for him to hear from his "fan club":-) this way, and I know his mom and dad will feel good about the support they see their boy getting, too.

On behalf of our rising Underwater Mechanic......

Quince's Godma Penny :-)

Thursday, 14 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Penny,

I am happy Mcfly has an extended family close to him for this phase of his life, home away from home. Thanks for the love and support you have given and continue to give. I am proud of Quince and what he has accomplished, his ambition coupled with his expanding sense of responsibility are fuel for the spotlight we use to see Quince succeed.

Don

Friday, 15 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! So well written. ...Penny, greetings to u and your faimly. Oh Quince, u know Aunt Deits is rooting for u. Stay hungry for knowledge and stay humble.....the world is forever yours! Much love to u from all of us.

Tuesday, 19 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pen, It is good to hear of Quince's success. Keep it up Quin. We are proud of you.
Love Aunt Keitha, Candiss & Kiki

Wednesday, 11 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home