Friday, October 20, 2006

Another Raw Pie -- Banana/Lemon

Last Sunday, I made a Banana/Lemon raw (no-cooked) pie. Yay, another raw pie victory!Caleb (red shirt) and his friend Christian (blue shirt) loved it.

Here's a slice of their pie talk:

Christian: Caleb, which part do you like the best?

Caleb: I just like it ALL mixed together?

Christian: I like the nuts, but the banana gives it a lot of flavor?

Caleb: I know!

Silence!

Maybe they were meditating on their thoughts about the pie's taste. Perhaps the glare/fuzziness of the picture reflects the "raw pie zone" they were in! :-)

When I made this pie on Collin's birthday, we took it to his parent's house to share with them. Collin thoroughly enjoyed it and said it tasted like "Lemon Meringue pie." Collin's dad told me that I had outdone myself. "It's good! It's good!" his mom said a few times while eating her slice. Caleb asked if a bit more could be added to his plate after his first bite. Initially, he said he didn't want much because he wasn't really hungry.

I got the recipe for this tasty Banana/Lemon Pie from Raising Raw-Vegan Children, one of the raw-vegan e-books available on The Garden Diet.

Here's how I made it!

Crust: In a food chopper, I finely chopped a little over a cup of Raw Spanish Nuts. I also chopped about five pitted dates and mixed that with the nuts in addition to a tablespoon of olive oil, about a tablespoon of honey, and a little cinnamon and nutmeg. After wiping a tad of olive oil on the bottom of the pie dish, I spread the crust.

Filling: In a blender, I blended four bananas, one avocado, the juice of one lemon, about three pitted dates, a touch of honey, cinnamon and nutmeg. I poured that creamy mixture over the pie crust.

Topping: I finely chopped another cup of Spanish Raw Nuts and sprinkled that over the filling.

Since the pie was creamy, I put it in the refridgerator for a little while to allow it to set.

The boys loved it, and so did I.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Penny,

What a nice dessert, thanks for sharing this recipe.

Linda

Saturday, 21 October, 2006  
Blogger Penny Powell said...

Hi Linda:

No problem!

I'm about to make it again today.:_)

Take care,

Penny

Saturday, 21 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home